This recipe takes a little more time to prep (about 30 minutes, with a toddler pulling at you) but it is completely worth it! NOTE: THE PICTURE FEATURED HAS CHEESE ON HALF OF THE PEPPERS FOR MY HUSBAND. CHEESE IS NOT WHOLE30/PALEO APPROVED.
2 Tablespoons of grass-fed butter
2 tablespoons of avocado oil or coconut oil
1 small yellow onion
3 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 pound of chicken italian sausage
1 pound of grass-fed beef
3 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 small zucchini, finely diced
3 cups of fresh basil
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
5-6 bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Fill a large soup pot with water and bring to a boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, cover the bottom of another big soup pot with the butter and oil and over medium heat saute the onion, celery, and carrots until the onions become translucent.
- Crumble in the sausage and ground beef and add salt and pepper before meat is fully cooked.
- Add the zucchini, basil and tomatoes, mix well, and let the meat and veggies cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for another 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, remove the tops of the bell-peppers and rinse well to remove seeds
- By now your water should be boiling. Place the bell peppers gently into the boiling water and submerge them for 5-6 minutes or until the bell peppers are just a little tender but not falling apart.
- Pull the bell peppers out of the water with tongs, and arrange in a large baking dish. Fill each bell pepper with the meat mixture and bake in your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Have leftover filling? Freeze it and add to spaghetti sauce later!